Thursday, August 28, 2014

It finally happened...Retired

Well I have been counting down the months, weeks and days for quite some time. Envisioning the day it would happen and today it finally did....I'm now among those who call themselves retired. Actually the countdown clock says a few more hours but they told me today at work I didn't have to come back tomorrow(my official last day). I usually work a half a day on Fridays but I turned in my work laptop keys and cleaned out my desk so there really wasn't a reason for me to come back tomorrow. As I was sitting at my desk watching the clock click off the last remaining minutes and seconds I had to take a selfie. I felt the need to document the look on my face as I was getting ready to walk out the door where I have worked at for the last 14 years.


Now I realize that 14 years is not that long to work for a company but putting those years together with the years as a teenager, the Navy and my private practice in Chiropractic that's an additional 34 years bringing us to the present. That's 48 years of working. Now that sounds more impressive and as my friend Rick from "It's about time" would say. It's our time. (Glenda and I) This Sunday we leave for South Dakota to get our drivers licenses and establish our residency, after a short day of sightseeing, we return, pack up and leave for Indiana. We have reservations at the KOA in Granger and then on to the RV-Dreams Rally. It's pretty surreal right now. I'm ready to move down the road and begin the adventure we call retirement. Also looking forward to no snow, polar vortexs or sub zero temps. It was bittersweet saying "see you later" to my co-workers(refused to say goodbye). Some tears and hugs were in order. We were like a family and I appreciate Gina and Suzanne so much. They made the job much more fun. My team manager, Lisa, was so supportive of my second career and it was a pleasure working for her and having her lead our team. Thank you, Lisa.

Well if the rain will stop, I have plans to go canoeing with my brother tomorrow morning on the Mackinaw River. Let's hope we can get that done. Well that's about all I have right now. Ready for the future but our time starts NOW.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your retirement!
    Even though you will get to enjoy life at a slower pace and it might seem like a vacation at times it is still everyday life. Your home is now on wheels and you still have to clean and maintain it. You will learn to take your travels slowly so you don't burn out the thrill of the travel and take the time to really explore each area you go to. Who knows if you will ever return there. You can learn a lot about places without spending an arm and a leg to do it.
    A very important thing is not to take unnecessary risks. Wear those life jackets anytime you are out on the water. Pay attention to weather forecasts, warnings and alerts.
    The most important thing is to remember to work as a team and to appreciate one another for the lifestyle you have chosen together.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Rick and of course, the advice. Slowing down will take some time. I'm sure it will help to be stationary in AZ for a few months so we can get our bearing after the whirlwind of events to get to this place. Not a risk taker so that helps too. After 42 years, Glenda and I have the team thing down pretty well but this is a new situation. Always appreciate your comments. See you down the road. Curt

      Delete
  2. Congrats Curt......This is perhaps the best job I have ever had. Finally.....I have found my true calling.....retirement. Hope you enjoy yours and be safe on your travels.
    Debbie Coile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie...great to hear from you. So happy that you're enjoying your retirement. Will do our best to be safe. I hope we get to have a lunch reunion in AZ sometime this winter. Retirement hasn't sunk in yet but will enjoy the process. Thanks Curt

      Delete
    2. Whoo Hoo!! a big congrats!! We'll see you at the rally and maybe in AZ if you're still there in April. So excited for you both. We know you've been waiting. It'll be everything you've dreamed of and more!! Two months for us now, and we're surprised how easy and natural it's been. Loving it!

      Delete
  3. Enjoy retirement Curt. I'm looking forward to following your adventures from my cubicle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your retirement!!! Just catching up on blogs after a rough few weeks, take things slow and enjoy the rally. One of these winters we'll do the west but with having to back in VT in late April we've decided to hang in TX. Have fun and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment....Been hectic for us this last week going to SD to get our licenses and residency. Just getting back into the swing of things now. Will have to give TX a try some time. See you down the road.

      Delete